Are You Seeing Double?
You might have looked into the pool and seen your child using two noodles when kicking instead of one, which they have always been using. We have seen a couple of eyebrows raised and interesting looks on parents faces this week. First off, that is a great sign you are so observant. Next, we are glad you take an interest in what is happening in the pool. Finally, we are always striving to make our lesson product better. With that being said, we wanted to take this opportunity to explain why we made this change. We feel it is important to be as transparent as possible when we make changes to our curriculum and teaching.
We are looking for the kids to feel balance, buoyancy, and begin to self-propel through the water. The most obvious area where we felt we could make a productive change was introducing two noodles to begin kicking instead of one.
HERE ARE 6 REASONS WHY:
- Two noodles provides a more solid base, which allows the child to do the work and feel comfortable on the noodles.
- It should require the child to do the majority of the work instead of the teacher dragging them and providing all the forward propulsion.
- The child will feel what it is like to be more balanced and buoyant in the water.
- Their comfort level should increase at a faster rate, which will allow them to put their eyes down in the water at an earlier stage.
- Two noodles help promote the proper kick – and helps to eliminate the running motion most children want to do – which is natural. We are looking for straight legs and pointed toes.
- After the child demonstrates they are comfortable with two noodles, we will then progress them to just using one noodle.
We hope this helps explain why we have made this change and why you are seeing double. As always, we want to thank you for your tremendous support.
See you at the pool!