The Importance Of Bath Time
Don’t underestimate the importance of bath time! When it comes to your child and swimming, one of the most important things you can do to get your child comfortable in the water is to make bath time fun and relaxing. From your child’s first bath, it is important for them to be practicing all of the skills they need to become a calm and comfortable swimmer. Listed below are a couple of tips that will help you successfully introduce your child to the water. Please take your time with each of these activities. It could take your child weeks or just a day to become more comfortable. Every child moves at a different pace. Not only will this make the transition into swim lessons smoother, but your child will also increase their confidence and comfort more quickly! You will not regret spending this time with your child!
Bath Time Progressions
- Submerge a towel or sponge in water and ring it out all over their shoulders and head always cueing “1,2,3” to prepare them for what is about to happen.
- Fill a small cup with water and pour gently over the child’s head and shoulders with the same cue.
- Fill the same cup or a larger one with more water and gently pour over the child’s head and shoulders.
- Begin blowing bubbles in the same bucket or in the bathtub.
- Encourage your child to hum, sticking their nose in the water, making bubbles come out of the nose instead of the mouth.
- Stick mouth, nose, and eyes in the water while humming – put a target at the bottom of the bath tub to motivate them to get eyes down.
- Stick mouth, nose, and eyes in the water cueing “1,2,3” while also pouring water over the child’s head.
VISIT OUR SWIM SHOP TO PURCHASE OUR EXCLUSIVE BATH TIME BASKETS! All items are used in our swim lessons. These swim props will help your child progress in swimming!