Safety Week Dates:
Monday, December 9 – Saturday, December 14
Did you know…
that 10 people drown every day in the United States? Did you know the leading cause of accidental death for children ages 1 – 5 is drowning? Those are pretty sobering statistics. A big part of our mission and curriculum is teaching our students to be respectful of all bodies of water and give them some helpful tools to use if trouble should arise. We are going to be having two safety weeks.
Our Main Focus:
1. Educate our students on the use of life jackets (Parent & Tot II, Advanced Tot, Juniors, School Age, & Team)
2. How to react in the water fully clothed (Junior Program, School Age, & Team)
3. How to react to swimming without googles (Advanced Tot, Junior Program, School Age, & Team)
We will run a normal lesson plan during these two weeks. We highly encourage everyone to participate and wear clothes on the appropriate week. If the child is uncomfortable with having clothes and shoes on, they can remove them after safety circles/Polar Bear Floats are completed or can just perform the lesson in normal attire.
What To Wear:
• Old clothes you don’t mind getting wet and possibly fade
• Pants or shorts
• Old tennis shoes
• Please be sure to wear your swimsuit underneath your clothing this week
Why No Goggle Week?
We want our students to be comfortable with the feeling of water in their eyes and to not become shocked by that sensation if they are pushed into a body of water. Many of our kids hit the panic button if they get water in their goggles or if they slip down; therefore, we need to teach our students to be comfortable without them.